A bastion between two waters aides in America’s independence

Located near the south end of Lake Champlain in upstate New York is Fort Ticonderoga. Built in 1755, this area was under the French flag with Michael Chartier de Lotbinere the Governer-General Vaudreuil. He sensed the need to build a fort in order to protect the surrounding waterways which were used by the French for their fur trade network. In time, this location would become an important advantage for colonial Americans during the Revolutionary War.